Saturday, April 9, 2011

Wk2 Blog Post 1- Reading Ch 1-4

Picture compliments of Dena Moncrief.

There were so many life lessons demonstrated in the 1st four chapters. The reading encouraged me to change the way I think. Think positive and to think of things as you want them to be. It forces you to be optimistic. It also suggested that life is better if you give. When you give and not look for anything in return, then your blessings are multiplied. I'm a living witness. There are a lot of concepts that I will be trying in my classroom next year. It is too late to apply some of them now. The concept of giving students an "A" at the beginning of a course can take some of the worries and frustrations away. Students may feel more comfortable in a new classroom setting and it may boost their confidence. Changing the way we think about everything is definitely the key to living a prosperous life. In some situations...It may even change the outcome.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dena, Do you believe that your perspective before the reading wasn’t as positive as it is now? I honestly am not an optimistic person. I feel like you can have a level of positivity but at the same time certain things will always be the same, or carry a certain level of truth. I must agree, it is better to give without expectations; it gives your own life new meaning. Giving an A in the beginning would ease the mind, I’m not sure if it would create the best work ethic. But it would be interesting to experiment with the concept.

    Interesting point of opinion. I would like to find out what methods you currently use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this weeks reading was far more reaching than just in this class. You really got a sense it could be applied in so many different areas. I think the giving an A concept could be a slippery soap if not implemented correctly. While I agree that it would definitely put the student at ease and take off some of the stress in starting a new class, giving them confidence and a positive attitude, giving it on something that requires more effort may set them up for failure on future assignments. For example, if they put forth this effort and get an A, that effort may not be the same effort needed on future assignments. However, I do see the point being made in the reading, I just hope it's use is in the proper way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great observations. All of us are more likely to do better when the emphasis is on the learning and not on getting a grade. We accomplish what we focus on and it's pretty obvious that outside of a limited number of skill learning, taking a test is not a substitute for learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very well written post. I agree that this week’s reading is far more impressive than just in this class. I really like the way you write your experience. Thanks for sharing your idea with us. I am very impressed with your work.
    digital signature

    ReplyDelete