Saturday, April 16, 2011

WK3 Reading - Blog Post #1

Picture compliments of Dena Moncrief


I am actually enjoying reading The Art of Possibility. Sometimes God places things in your life right when you need them and not when you think you need them. This book has been very refreshing. It has helped me to look at situations differently than I have before.
Everybody should be a conductor if we go by the definition in the book. Conductors have the ability to make others powerful. As a teacher, we do exactly the same. We have the power to either be instrumental in someone’s success. You look good when you help to uplift others.
We are also encouraged to lighten up and not take everything so serious. As you lighten up you start looking at things as they are and not from the past. You shouldn’t focus on how wrong things are because it takes away your ability to act effectively. Like stated in previous chapters of this book, thinking positive is the key. When positivity is your primary focus then you tend to look at the glass half full instead of half empty. I am personally dealing with a not so positive situation as we speak. I do see how the more you give attention to problems, the more they escalate. It makes things worse.
My passion in life is to change the way my students/children think about things. I want them to think about making right choices. Not to always follow their peers because even they can mislead them. I want them to carry themselves in a way they can be respected. It is my hope that even if I get through to some that’s enough. 

2 comments:

  1. Dena,

    I love how you mentioned not taking things from the past and allowing them to affect how you see the future. I know they talked about it in the book, but because of the close friendship that you and I share somehow it seemed even more powerful hearing you say it. I am proud of the example that you set for your girls; it inspires me to also see the glass half empty and set a great example for my boys. I pray that you will continue to find your passion in life, and that it will fulfill you in ways that you never thought imaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great connection between your life and passions and the reading. We always want the best for those we're responsible for. How are we good examples to them about how they should conduct their lives? This is not to subject ourselves to their approval, but to remember that they are watching and learning from everything we do. That's enough to be a great motivator to be ones best.

    ReplyDelete