Saturday, April 2, 2011

WK1 - Copyright

Picture compliments of Dena Moncrief


I knew copyright was an issue but I did not know it was this deep. I was really blown away by the issues it covers. Some of it I don't believe in. It seems that they should put music beats in the same bracket as you would names and titles. Beats, I think, are too common. I think it’s amazing how people sit and listen so hard that they can pull out beats and say "That's Mine!" But on another hand I understand it’s about the combination. It’s really weird. The legal aspect of being creative can be over the top sometimes. They take protection to a new level.

I personally don't like downloading music from the Internet. I still like going to the store to purchase music on CDs. That way I know for sure it belongs to me and I have a proven copy. I like how they have opened up new technology to do so but its risky. I also wondered, since downloads are so cheap are the artist still getting the money they feel they are due.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dena, yes it is very interesting how many levels of copyrights there are. I honestly think the guy that made the CD from several sampled artist was so creative, and had a positive effect for the artist. Yea it almost seems like there is no room for creativity. I honestly dont see a problem with creating music like a collage.

    In life, we take parts we find, or take from the ground, or or air and build upon them. I dont understand why this cannot also apply to music and art.

    Theres a difference between blatantly copying an arttis work, and then creating a master piece from an artist work, or using the colors or tones from the artist work. Only God invented the color red, so we should all be able to use it, but not at the expense of the other artist hard work.

    Just like Jay-Z said, you maid it a hot line, I made it a hot song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Napster was called before congress, Roger McGuinn, one of the original Byrds-band members from the 60s testified that his contract with MP3.com was the best one he'd had in over 30-years with the recording industry. MP3.com agreed to give him 10 cents for every dollar they made from music downloads. He went on to say that he never made any money from any of his recordings over all those years until he was able to make a deal with MP3.com. The music business is a business that has rarely shown any concern for the monetary well-being of their artists. So, yes, artists can actually make more money with music downloads than they ever did in the day of the disc or record.

    ReplyDelete